Skip to main content

Sometimes Realtors Get a Bad Rap!!

I think there are a few reasons for this.

1) Some realtors lack professionalism;  A true real estate professional, in my opinion, has to have many gifts and be able to share those gifts.  They must be educated in the profession, just like any other professional.  They must carry with them the ability to have empathy and sympathy and be able to conduct themselves with dignity, but without prejudice or ego.  They must be patient and build a trust relationship with ALL clients. 

2)  There is a lot more work that goes in to being a real estate professional than most people realize.  Not only do they need to constantly be a part of continuing education for the their license, but my experience says that to be a GOOD real estate professional, there are many things that we are doing behind the scenes that people do not realize.  With each client, depending on their circumstances, there is research that SHOULD ALWAYS be done.  The due diligence in making sure the client can be financially in a position to buy, the title information on property that they want to sell.  These are just a couple of things that I have learned about in the few months that I have been back in the business.  You almost have to be a Finance Professional, an Inspection Professional, a Structural Engineer, as well as entertaining your business and building your client base.

As for me, I am ALWAYS sympathetic to my client's needs and I REALLY enjoy this profession.  I enjoy doing the research.  I enjoy helping people make choices for their buy/sell transaction.  I get to interact with MANY people of different backgrounds, with many different expectations. 

I have to laugh as lately I have been holding open some Open Houses in the Springfield area.  They have been very nice homes in very nice areas.  The people that come in are folks that on one hand are very WARY: "Oh, I already have an agent.....no, I don't want to sign your book...." they walk around and take in the surroundings but ask few questions.  It's like they are scared of me!!  Why?  If you don't want to talk, that is fine.  If you don't want to be contacted afterwards, don't put your information down, I just need to be able to tell my broker how many people were interested and how they heard about the listing!! 

Of course, the majority of people are very kind and have a multitude of questions about the property; some have their kids with them and I try to reach out to them every single time.  If the kids like you, they will say that to their parents and the parents see this are more likely to trust you.  But, basically, you stand there and BE KIND!  To everyone!  Even if they don't want you to be, even if they ignore you and act like an ass and as unfriendly as they can be!  I believe that people who don't know you and refuse to get to know you are just afraid of something; maybe that I might judge them or their circumstances; afraid I know more about the business than they do; maybe they have not had good agents in the past.  But, a good real estate professional does not give up on them!  They continue to try to find common ground, interests in like-kind, offering facts about the property and smiling through it all! 

Just my musings for a Wednesday.............. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello, friends! Today I would like to blog about Open Houses!  They can be a success or a failure, and sometimes somewhere in between.  It makes me sad that many people come to an Open House without their agent.  I feel like the agents should be keeping track of the Open Houses in the area and marketing them to their buyers.  Maybe they are and I just don't know about it.  Hmmmmm.....  I know this Open House I held on Sunday had been announced in the paper and online on different pages by the listing agent and I put it on all my pages to try to get some traffic through this house, but we only had 3 groups of people and they all had their own agent.  When I was able to sell and write the contract on my last Open House, they did not have an agent, knew about it through a friend and I was able to show the house to them only, there were no other lookers.  Yesterday was such a beautiful day here and I was really looking forward to holding it.  Any suggestions?????  Anyone???  What
So....when do people usually decorate for the holidays?  I usually put up my Fall things after September 30th.  Put out some Halloween things and inside I decorate quite a bit.  I used to put up my Christmas things after Thanksgiving, but since we moved to southern Missouri, I put them up before Thanksgiving because we try to celebrate Thanksgiving here, and my son and grandsons come down.  If I don't put them up, then the grandsons don't get to see it, because we go back up to Kansas City for Christmas.  I'm thinking of changing out some of my decorations for Christmas this year.  Almost everything I have are things that I have had since 2001.  And sometimes you just need a change!  Agreed????  What are your thoughts? You know what?  I really like all my decorations that I have.  There are many that have been given to me as gifts throughout the years.  I might get new ribbon to weave around it.  That sounds like a better idea to me.....................  W